Did you know there are around 2,000 verses in the Bible about money? – more than faith and prayer combined! Reason being that money is the number one competitor in our hearts for God Matt 6:19-24.
Here’s a quick devotional on money
- Check out what 1 Timothy 6:6-10 says about people who fall in love with money.
- What does Ecclesiastes 5:10 warn us?
- Read Luke 6:38… what does Jesus promise for those who give?
- Is it possible to outgive God? Read Proverbs 3:9-10
A key passage is 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
- Is it possible to outgive God v6-8?
- Does God take care of those who are generous v10?
- Why does God make people generous v11?
- What does Paul tell us in v12-14 will be the result of our generosity?
What about tithing?
- The first tithe was given by Abram in Gen 14:-18-20 – is that before or after the law was given?
- Check out Malachi 3:6-12 – In v6 has God changed his mind about tithing?
- Is tithing a big deal to God v7-9?
- What promises does God make to those who tithe v10-12?
- Are there any cases of giving less than 10% in the New Testament – now that we have grace?
- Jason Wilson says ““We all know that Scripture says to tithe…what I want to ask tonight is what are you doing with the other 90% to advance His Kingdom; after all, He does own it all!”” Jesus criticism of the Pharisees attitude to tithing was because they didn’t care about God’s Kingdom – ignoring justice and oppression of the ppoer.
If you’d like more teaching on money and stewardship – check out our Coping with the Credit Crunch series
If you’d like to know how to give to The Gateway Church, then please download our Giving Leaflet