Pentecost part 2
Pentecost part 2
I love this passage! Peter preaches with power and 3,000 get saved and added to the church!
There’s a clear structure, Scriptural backup and punchy application – a great model for preaching.
- This is that – v.16-21
- Jesus is who He said He is and proved it with signs, wonders and the resurrection, just as David prophesied – v.22-36
- Repent and be baptised
Notice how Peter pointedly says twice “You crucified Him” v.23, 36. I wonder how many of the crowd were there just weeks earlier shouting “Hosanna!” at the triumphal entry and then days later “Crucify Him”. Now Peter personalises the gospel – you crucified Him. The Holy Spirit is mightily at work – empowering Peter’s preaching and then convicting that crowd of their culpability and sinfulness. They were cut to the heart – “What must we do?”.
They needed to do just four things, while God was at work in them
- Repent – change their thinking and direction in life towards Jesus
- Believe – that’s assumed – they now believe Jesus is the long awaited Christ
- Be baptised in water – that’s the physical outworking of what is going on in their spirit; washed clean of sin.
- Receive the Spirit – He’s the one who will produce the fruit of repentance that John the Baptist was so frustrated about in Luke 3:8.
3,000 people respond. Can you imagine 120 of us baptising 25 people each in one day? Come on Lord!
The fruit of repentance is immediately apparent. There is no concept in the New Testament of being a Christian and not part of a local church. Those 3,000 gathered in the temple courts and in small groups in people’s homes, devoted, clinging to the apostles teaching, fellowshipping together, breaking bread and praying. Miracles happen, generosity is going on (wallets got saved too!) and more and more people are getting added. The generosity was much needed as Jerusalem swelled in numbers with pilgrims during the feasts, and they stayed to be part of the church – so there were many more mouths to feed.
Oh God, give us that passion and that favour! Amen
Posted by: Andy Moyle
On: 5th Jun, 2018 at 5:59 am